How We Began
Like all great things Polo For Heart began with a vision…
Just over a quarter of a century ago a man named Colonel Michael Sifton saw an opportunity to bring two of his favourite things together: People and polo. In addition to being a huge polo fan and a respected polo player, Col. Sifton was also committed to charitable causes, particularly anything to do with heart-related research (his father had died of a stroke). And so he saddled up his friends at the Toronto Polo Club and the Heart Action Committee, and together they set in motion what became the very first Polo For Heart Charity event. This first event was a resounding success involving an exuberant crowd of 600 people and raising $25,000 for charity.
Fast forward 35 years and Polo For Heart is still going strong. In fact it is now truly an international event, with players hailing from as far away as Ireland, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, England, South Africa and the United States. The annual event has raised over four million dollars for the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Ontario. When Colonel Sifton passed away in 1995, his wife Heather and their sons Cliff, Michael and Derek decided to continue his legacy. Today Polo For Heart has a volunteer base of over 100 volunteers, with the Sifton family still very much involved. Derek Watchorn is the 2015 Chairman, with Cliff Sifton as honorary Chairman.
Please join us on JUNE 16, 18 and 19, 2016
- Two international polo matches played daily
- Visit the boutiques tent, the silent auction, the children’s village, and the Mallet lounge
- Enjoy half time entertainment shows
- Take part in our traditional champagne divot stomp, perfect polo picnic contests, or the best hat contest
- Proceeds go to the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada and the Southlake Foundation